1. A friend who was willing to give me a bunch of cucumbers (because my garden produced exactly five tiny ones) so I could make pickles. I canned them using this recipe, with peppercorns rather than hot peppers. I kept the cucumbers whole as much as I could, and only ended up with one jar of cut-up cucumbers, which was rad.
2. The first day of school! Last Monday, Kaylie started grade eight and Liliana started grade two. This is Kaylie’s last year in her and Liliana’s school before she heads off to high school. She’s got her high school all picked out already, but I’d like to slow this whole thing down a bit, ok?!
3. Preston started preschool this morning. Since June he’s been asking 20 times a day when preschool starts. Today is finally the day. I’m so excited for him.
4. A Color Me Rad with Kaylie. I really like these runs. They’re super fun and anyone can do them. We went with most of the same people as we did last year, but next year we’re adding Liliana to the roster.
photo on right stolen from Elsa Guenther
5. Heat. Yesterday I turned on my furnace. I KNOW. I was determined to not turn it on till at least September 22, the first day of fall, but my fingers were turning blue inside and I just couldn’t take it any more. But! I am thankful that I can have heat at the click of a button. Many in our city don’t have that luxury and I don’t take it for granted. It’s pretty cushy here, what with the roof over our heads every night and food in the refrigerator every day.