1. Warmth. Not outside (it’s -40°C/°F with the wind chill), but inside. We have heat. And coats. And many blankets. I’m not taking that for granted.
2. Saturday mornings. At least one of us works every day of the week, but Saturday is the only morning neither Noah nor I have to be up early. There is no hurry to get out of bed and no hurry to get out the door. Saturday mornings are perfect.
3. Sunday dinners. We’ve been having dinner on Sundays at my in-laws’ place since we moved here four and a half years ago. It’s not every Sunday, and sometimes it’s a different day of the week, but each time is a blessing. We’re going to miss them when (if?) they leave this frozen province.
4. Grandma slippers. Every year for many years my grandma knitted each of her grandchildren a pair of slippers. I love them a lot, but one by one I’m wearing them out and I’ll have to figure out how to knit them for myself.
5. Family traditions. Since before I met him, Noah has waited till midnight on November 30th to ring in December 1st, the beginning of Christmas. He gets his eggnog ready, and picks a First Christmas Song. Usually it’s Mariah Carey. This year, the whole shebang will start in less than an hour. The Christmas decoration boxes are about to come upstairs, the eggnog is in the fridge, and iTunes will soon be opened. Let’s do this Christmas thing.