1. Watching Liliana’s dance recital. That kid was meant to be on stage and loves to be the centre of attention. She is my polar opposite.
2. Being outside. I cannot even tell you how much I love being able to be outside. And how much the kids love being outside.
3. Planting things. I order my seeds from William Dam Seeds because my Grandpa ordered from them. My Grandparents are/were Dutch immigrants, as were the founders of the company. Kale (boerenkool) was one of the first things I planted, because I wouldn’t be a good Dutch gardener if I didn’t.
4. Watching Preston make friends. He “so wuvs” his little buddies.
5. Rain. I grew up in the fourth-rainiest city in Canada, and therefore hated rain and grey skies. Now that I live in the fifth-sunniest city in Canada, rain is a treat, especially during growing season when it waters my garden for me. (Also because the precipitation coming from the sky isn’t snow.)
Schmutzie created Grace in Small Things to wage a battle against bitterness.